Tuesday, December 20, 2011

David Archuleta: Mormon mission plans put music on a two-year hiatus

"American Idol" Season 7 runner-up David Archuleta announced some big plans on Monday night at a concert in Salt Lake City, Utah. He'll be heading out on a two-year proselytizing mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

"I can't tell you how special it's been being able to come back here," he told fans in his hometown. "There's no place like home. I always say that... While I'm home in front of you guys here tonight, I would like to make a special announcement that I've chosen to serve a full-time mission."

The crowd erupted into cheers, and Archuleta was so overwhelmed he began to cry, covering his face to hide his eyes from his fans.

"It's not because someone told me that I was supposed to do it," he said when he regained composure. "Not because I no longer want to do music anymore, but it's because it's the feeling that I felt that I need to do next in my life. It's the same feeling that I've always followed and tried to follow in my life... I've learned to trust that feeling, and I've learned that I need to answer when it calls."

Archuleta's mission will begin sometime after the new year. There are many strict rules that LDS missionaries must adhere to -- not the least of which is a restriction on music. While on his mission, Archuleta won't be able to listen to music that isn't religious. Music with any romantic lyrics will be banned -- including his own.

Zap2It

No comments:

Post a Comment